How will I be considered a true Bengali food blogger if I don’t start with ‘Posto’ (poppy seed)? We bongs can have posto just anywhere, in any condition and even during marriage.
The true Bengali delicacy Posto bhaat is less a dish to cherish but more of an emotion to us!
By birth, I am Bangal (a person having root in Bangladesh) married to Ghoti (a person having root in West Bengal). My journey of having Posto started from my house where aloo Posto (Potato Poppy seed)/Jhinga Posto (Ridge gourd poppyseeds) with Kalai er daal (urad dal) was prepared twice a week. My husband is a die hard fan of Posto and finds it his antidote on stressful days. The quantity of Posto in the dish can be manipulated according to the taste but I use considerable amount since my husband loves it that way!
So here I bring to you an authentic recipe Paneer Posto Pulao!
Do try and share your experience…. or just cook for your family!
Prep time : 10 mins
Cook time : 20 mins
Total time : 1/2 hour
INGREDIENTS (Serves 2)
Ginger – 25 gms
Garlic – 25 gms
Posto (poppy seed) – 50 gms
Cashews – 2 tbsp
Peas – According to rice
Paneer chunks – 15-20 gm
Ghee – according to taste
Saboot jeera – 1 tsp
1. Soak Posto in plain water for 30 mins.
2. Heat very little oil in a pan, add ginger garlic and fry it until translucent. Transfer it to a food processor/mixer grinder.
3. Now add Posto (here, you can add 1-2 green chillies if you want to make it spicy). Add water just enough to make a thick paste. Also, add a little salt here.
4. Now heat ghee in a deep bottom pan and temper it with saboot jeera.
5. Add paneer and peas and start frying in medium flame for 1-2 mins.
6. To this, add cooked rice, a little salt and mix all.
7. Finally, add the ginger-garlic-Posto paste to the rice and carefully mix
8. Cook for 5-10 mins or just enough for the paste to mix with the rice.
The ideal pairing for paneer Posto Pulao!
Hing aloo tomato gravy with boondi/cucumber raita and you are through !
Thanks for joining me!
If you liked my recipe, please click on like and comment.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog are the personal views of the author. They do not necessarily mirror the views or opinions of any individual.