Gobhi (Cauliflower) was a staple dish at my home. Whether incorporated in fish curry or in a simple vegan dish, this annual vegetable was there on our platter everyday. My favourite recipe was simple fried cauliflower potato (aloo gobhi) cooked with black cumin and green chilli, garnished with coriander leaves.
However, my mother’s love for Cooking never really satisfied her instincts. She would experiment with every available edible source in her kitchen. As a matter of chance, this love for Cooking was encoded in my DNA!
Here I bring to you from my mother’s kitchen a recipe with a twist….
Preparation Time : 10 mins. Serves 6
Cooking time : 20 mins.
- Water – 4 1/2 cups + 3 tbsp
- Salt – 4 1/2 tsp
- Cauliflower – 1 medium (800gms) cut into 3-4 cm florets with 1 cm stalk; cut remaining tender stalks into 1 cm cubes
- Poppy seeds – 1 tbsp
- Cashew nuts (broken into pieces) – 2 tbsp
- Ginger – 10 gms
- Garlic – 6 flakes
- Green chillies – 2
- Vegetable oil – 1/2 cup
- Onions grated – 2 large (300gms)
- Tomatoes (blanched and chopped) – 2 medium (1/4 kg)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Hung curd – 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves chopped – for garnishing
- Soak cauliflower in a bowl with 4 cups of lukewarm water and 2 tsp salt for 30 mins. Drain
- Grind together poppy seeds and cashew nuts into a paste adding a little water (3 tbsp) from time to time.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, tomatoes, turmeric, coriander, cumin and red chilli powder and 2 1/2 tsp salt. Cook till tomatoes are pulpy, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 tbsp hung curd. Stir fry till curd is well blended. Add remaining curd in the same way, 1 tbsp a time. Fry till oil shows separately.
- Add cauliflower, stir fry for about 5-7 mins. Add remaining water (1/2 cup). Stir
- Cover the pan, bring to sim and let it cook for sometime.
- When cauliflower looks cooked, add cashew paste, stirring gently for about 1-2 mins.
Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves
Fresh hot Roti (chapati) or paratha along with raita
Thanks for joining me!
If you liked my recipe, please try! Any queries, please comment.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog are the personal views of the author. They do not necessarily mirror the views or opinions of any individual.